Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Round 2 - COMPLETE

Yesterday was Gracy's final chemotherapy treatment from her second protocol.  In other words, her thirty-second (32) treatment since April 2011 (16 treatments in each round).  Her blood work was great and her chest x-ray only showed the remnants of her rock party from this past Friday.



Rocks.  Yes.  Rocks.  I knew she had been eating them, AGAIN!  She had got sick over the weekend and a few came back up.  She also eats rabbit poop.  She is a mess, to say the least.  However, she still has a few in her system.  Should be a fun couple of days, to say the least.

If you aren't familiar with lymphoma in dogs, the chances of it coming back are great.  Since it has already come back once, the risk is even greater.  Although yesterday was a huge milestone, which we are celebrating, each day will present new stresses.  Watching, waiting, wondering if and when the possible inevitable will happen.  A cough, a lump, breathing issues.  Each cough or sneeze will be mentally noted to see if more happens.  New lumps will ensure a trip to the vet with followed up tests.  And then the breathing issues!  Each night, when she snores, I will wonder...is she snoring or is something else going on.  It won't end.  It will continue each day. 

My little princess is a brave, strong fighter.  She fought hard this summer to stay with us.  Very hard.  I didn't think she would ever get well enough to get her 5th treatment in this second round.  As I have said many times, had it not been for her team of Doctor's fighting for her, and the many prayers that went up, she would not be here.  We are blessed to be so close to the University Vet School.  Very blessed.

So, even though I am stressed out.  Miss Gracy is doing as fantastic as she can be!  We will just continue to enjoy our time together.  I will continue to cater to her every need.  I will do my best to relax, a little, but won't let my guard down.  I feel so lucky that this little ray of sunshine waited in that kennel until I got there to bring her home.  She was meant to be with me.  She was a gift from God to help make me smile each day.  Even the bad days.  I can't begin to tell you how much this dog has taught me about life.  She is not just a dog!

Here are the warning signs for cancer in dogs.  Always have a vet check out any lumps.  The sooner you take action, the sooner treatment can begin.
 
10 Common Signs of Cancer in
 Small Animals

1.  Abnormal swellings that persist or continue to grow.

2.  Sores that do not heal.

3.  Weight loss.

4.  Loss of appetite.

5.  Bleeding or discharge from any body opening.

6.  Offensive odor.

7.  Difficulty eating or swallowing.

8.  Hesitation to exercise or loss of stamina.

9.  Persistent lameness or stiffness.

10.  Difficulty breathing, urinating, or defecating.

2 comments: