Monday, November 19, 2012

Things you shouldn't be thankful for.....

As we embark on Thanksgiving, I have been reading many "Today I am thankful for" posts on facebook.  I attempted to do this last year, as well, and well, I failed to complete it everyday.  I enjoy reading what people write.  To see what blessings they have or things they enjoy. 

I have stumbled on writing about this this weekend.  In fact, this is not my first version.  I have had a hard time being able to say this, type it "out loud".  I feel each blogger has to lay it out there.  Their lowest of low, for people to get it.  I feel I have ho hummed around this fact.

In the smallest, and most shameful way, I am glad that Gracy developed cancer.  Wow, that was hard to admit.  Now, I don't mean that litterally.  I am saddened she is sick and dealing with this dreadful disease.  I would not wish it on anyone....ever.  None of us want bad things to happen in our lives, but they do.  Things are usually out of our control.  But, sometimes, amongst the darkest days, good things happen.  It is hard to celebrate that.  Knowing that suffering has come to loved ones, friends, strangers.

I have often talked of silver linings.  I look back on my life prior to March 29th, 2011 when I found her lump.  A dark day indeed.  But reflecting back on that day, it was the beginning of me living for me.

Had Gracy not got sick, I may have never realized that life was just too short to be miserable.  I had gone from co-existing in my current job to hating everything about it.  It had begun to challenge everything I stood for and believed in.  I had gone from working for a company that believed we were a family to one that was a corporate entity.  So, I quit and started my own business.  While it has been a struggle, I have never not been happy about my decision.

On Gracy's many visits to the vet school, we have met many new and wonderful friends.  Gracy has a new family there.  We never would have met these fine folks, or reconnected with old friends, had this not happened.

I started a charitable cause to help support the oncology department at the vet school.  Again, this would not have happened had she not got sick.

I would not have started this blog!

Gracy's illness has lead me down a road I may have not had the courage to take on my own.  I have fallen in love with this pup in a way I have never loved another dog.  She is a fighter and her courage to survive is remarkable.  I am proud, beyond words, to be her Mom.  Through all of the sad and stressful days (and there have been a few), this girl has made me smile and laugh.  She has not given up on life.  I am glad she helped guide me to mine.  After all, she is NOT just a dog!

Happy Thanksgiving!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful things can come out of the ugliest of situations. It's what makes life tolerable ;)

    ReplyDelete