Thursday, September 27, 2012

Keys Louise!


I thought I had better introduce you all to Keys before she read the other blogs and realized she had not been spoke about too much!  Sunshine Paradise Keys Louise is my 6 year old golden retriever.

I adopted Keys in May 2006 when she was 8 weeks old.  I had just lost my beloved Pooh of 10 years, just weeks earlier.  I knew it was too soon to get a puppy, as I was still grieving (who am I kidding.....I am still grieving!).  The house was just so quite without a dog in it, just too quite.  So, I drove 6 hours, 3 hours both ways, twice within a week, to once meet her and to then pick her up.

When I arrived at the house where she was, I was greeted by the golden momma, Keys and her seven siblings.  I can still see them ALL running at me in excitement!  It was like something off of the t.v., where you see the dogs running to eat.  Needless to say, that made my day!  A week later, when she was officially 8 weeks old, I returned to bring her home.  I swear in that week, she had doubled in size......good golly!  What had I got myself into?

I was not mentally ready for a puppy.  She got that and used it on me for a very long time!  I can remember sitting in the chair, still crying over Pooh, while Keys was going crazy.  I had got myself into having a puppy!  My wild child!   And we had LOTS of disagreements!  I had them all with her...the terrible 2's and 3's, as well as the rebellious teenage years.

Keys has turned into my kid that really wants to plays sports, but just doesn't have the hand-eye coordination.  She very seldom catches anything I throw (i.e. frisbee, tennis ball).  When she does try to catch it, her paws are flying everywhere and her head is bopping all over the place.  No intensity or concentration!  However, like a good mom, I tell her she has done a good job, regardless of her catching anything.  She needs that kind of encouragement!

She has allergies.  Bad allergies!  I am not real sure when they started, 2007, 2008.  I just remember her eyes had become swollen, she had hives and felt like bubble wrap.  She is now on allergy shots for her environmental allergies, but, we continue to fight through the food allergies.  In fact, I just switched her food for, well, I have lost count to how many times!  I will say, knock on wood, she seems to be getting better, even after a week and a half.  She is allergic to beef and pork, which is used to make many of the medications she has had to take (i.e. heartworm, pain meds, antibiotics, etc.), as well as food and treats.  Taking these cause eye swelling and intense itching.  She is also allergic to fleas, ants, ragweed, dust and yeast, amongst a few other things.  Having a dog with allergies takes A LOT of patience (which I often lack).  Trying new foods can take months to see an improvement or a reaction.  Then you have to try something new.

Sometime in 2009, she tore her ACL.  Her limping kind of came and went for months.  About two days before her surgery, she blew it out all the way.  She had her first ACL surgery in February 2010 and her second surgery on the other knee (which she blew out in December 2010/January 2011),  a year later in February 2011 (yes just a month or so before I found Gracy's lump).  So, she now has two bionic knees!

Keys has become a great dog!  She is still a wild child and has issues when she sees people!  She is just a happy girl, but a big girl!  She is not an overly affectionate dog, but, has her moments.  When I am home she does follow me around and enjoys going to the home office with me!  Her and Gracy are best friends, which I didn't realize how much until Gracy was gone for those 10 days this summer.  She had moped around the house for days, not eating at meal time, but eventually eating...on her schedule....not mine.  I was beginning to worry a bit when Gracy finally got to come home.  Keys immediately returned to her normal behavior!  They are best buds and Keys is a great big sister to Gracy!  Keys is NOT just a dog to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment