Sunday, September 23, 2012

It's NOT just a dog!

Welcome to It's NOT just a dog!  Plain and simple, this blog is about dogs!  We are just starting, so who knows what direction this will take.  But, today's blog will be about our name!

It's NOT just a dog!  In 2002, my first dog as a grown up, Pooh, was diagnosed with lymphoma.  When we hear those words, our minds go to devastating places.    And I was devastated.  My seven year old sidekick, best friend and most loyal companion was dying.  Not many people understood why I would spend so much money on my dog to treat her for cancer, because, you know, she was just a dog.  Many times I wondered the same thing.  They were short lived moments, but, I had them!


Although many people didn't get it, they supported my decision.  I often felt foolish discussing it with others.  I could see that, it's just a dog look in their eyes.  Those looks took me to those short lived moments.


I remember the moment that I had that LAST short lived moment.  I was sitting in the waiting room, waiting for Pooh who was undergoing a chemotherapy treatment, when I overheard a conversation between another dog mom (whose dog had gone through treatment as well) and one of the vet tech's.  The dog mom was discussing how none of her friends understood why she had had her dog treated for cancer and could spend that kind of money on "just a dog".  The vet tech looked at her and told her that she should never be ashamed or feel sorry for helping her pet.  In fact, she should feel sorry for her friends who had never experienced that kind of love and loyalty!


That statement has been with me ever since.  My dogs are my family, my kids.  They are NOT just dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment