Monday, September 24, 2012

The beginning, a couple posts late!

So, this probably should have been my first writing.  Like everything else in my life, my brain works faster than my hands!  I can start cleaning the kitchen, yet find myself doing laundry five minutes later.  How, I ask myself, did this quick transition happen?  Oh yes, I was taking the new tube of toothpaste that was on the kitchen table to the bathroom and got side tracked by the clothes on the floor.  The toothpaste, by the way, is still probably in the bedroom!

My name is Davida.  I am 42 years old.  I am a single dog mom, and very proud of it!  I have two girls, Keys, a 6 year old golden retriever, and Gracy, a 5 year old schnauzer-black lab mix.  I worked in retail for 20 plus years, until retiring (ha!) last year to start a pet sitting business.  It was the best decision I ever made for my mental well being.

After 15 years of working for one retailer, I had had enough.  I had spent last few years watching more and more of who I was disappear.  I was a puppet.  I don't like being controlled and I was being controlled.  It began to feel like a bad relationship and I wanted out.  A possible business venture fizzled out in March and the search for my new career went into full mode.  I had always looked at pet sitting or pet boarding as a potential career move.   One day in April,  while waiting on Gracy to complete a chemotherapy treatment (more on that later), I remember thinking life is just too short for me to continue to do something I am not happy doing.  No one is benefiting from this, especially me.  So, at that moment, I decided to become a pet sitter.  I went home and started certification training.  It was another month before I put in my two weeks but it was such an exhilarating day!  Aunt D's Pet Care became a reality!

I have a knack for adopting dogs with problems!  My first dog, Pooh, had lymphoma, kidney problems and heart problems.  My second dog, Keys, has had two knee operations and continues to fight environmental and food allergies.  Gracy, my little sweetheart, was diagnosed with lymphoma in April 2011.  She did great with her first round of chemotherapy but came out of remission this past May.  She is hanging in there, and still receiving chemo.  There will be more on her later!

So, on my adventures with my girls I have learned a lot.  I am by no means an expert, but, have found great resources.  I have mostly spent time learning about nutrition and foods, but, have also learned a lot about their conditions.  My goal is to share my stories, try to educate dog owners on a few things and just have fun telling stories about dogs (and cats)!  I am not a pushy person.  I won't try to sway you to a certain product, brand or way of doing things.  We are all different, as are our dogs.  Mostly, I want more people to feel comfortable loving and caring for their pets, because, you know, It's NOT just a dog!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment