Thursday, October 11, 2012

A baseball fan, she is not!

Gracy is not a baseball fan.  I am not sure how I could have adopted a dog that was not, but, I did!

I grew up a Cardinals fan.  I can remember listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon on the radio, while falling asleep.  Dad almost always had the game on.  Back then, it was a rare occasion to get to watch them on TV.  We were always fans, no matter the score.  I was born into Cardinal Nation and I am proud to be a part of a unique group of fans.

My schedule at my old job kind of pulled me away from being able to take in a game, whether on TV, the radio, or live at Busch Stadium.  I do remember summers of fun with great friends as we invaded St. Louis to watch as many games as we could get to.  I am especially fond of the summer of 1998, when Mark McGwire broke the home run record (no * here).  I believe we attended about 10 games that summer.  Me and my 2 roommates didn't hit every game together, but, we each went to about 10 games.  None of us saw a home run until the day he tied the record.  It was just meant to be I suppose! 

So, fast forward 10 years or so.  I would catch a game here or there, but, following the team became harder and harder, or maybe I just lost interest.  The last couple of seasons have been easier to catch, or my interest has been sparked again.  Watching games became more and more of a constant thing in the house.

The summer of 2011 brought more free time to get back into it and by mid-September, things got real exciting.  Yelling and screaming at the TV became a new thing.....Gracy didn't like this.  Apparently, I had never got that worked up on a consistent basis, because, by the time the postseason hit, Gracy was having issues.  The sounds of the crowd and announcers would take her from a deep sleep to a place of anxiety.

As the postseason progressed, it got worse.  So much so, that I even asked the oncologist if chemo could have made her ears more sensitive.  Needless to say, she said no, laughed and blamed me!  I learned that if I turned the TV volume down very low, Gracy, Cardinals Baseball and I could live in harmony.  At least until game 6 and 7 of the World Series.  Gracy was just going to have to learn to co-exist those two nights!

So, now we have made it to the postseason again this year.  When I yell and scream, I get the look from her.  The "turn the volume down" look.  It may sound like I don't try to co-exist with her, but, I do.  I do a lot of silent fist pumps when I would rather scream and shout!

As the Cardinals proceed farther into postseason, I hope that Gracy will learn to accept my excitement.  We did a lot of practicing this summer.  I am pretty sure it went in one ear and out the other.  However, I will continue to reserve my excitement for what I feel are important moments (they all are, who am I kidding).  I will use the yell and scream tactics for times when I feel the team needs me!  I really wish my little sidekick would learn to love the game.  She is NOT just a dog!  Just NOT a baseball fan!

Don't forget to like our facebook page!  https://www.facebook.com/itsnotjustadog






2 comments: