Monday, October 1, 2012

Cancer SUCKS!

Cancer, as defined, is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body.  My definition.....IT SUCKS!

During one of Gracy's chemo visits last summer, I continued to ponder why I was so lucky to have another dog with cancer.  Cancer had seemed to surround me through the years... my Mom had breast cancer, fought it, and is a survivor... Pooh had it, and beat the odds... now Gracy... not to mention many friends along the way.  Then I got pissed and decided I wanted to do something, no matter how small, to help fight it.  I pondered the idea over the summer and waited until Gracy was done with chemo to make sure I was still in a good place with it.

I approached some of the oncologists about starting a "cause" to help the vet school.  They were all open to the idea.  After a couple of months of planning, in January 2012, we launched Save the Paws - Fighting Cancer 4 Paws at a Time.  We are not yet a non-profit, but hope to be someday.  We are just selling t-shirts at the moment, but hope to do some fundraising events in the future.

When I began this, my reason was to raise money and awareness to fight cancer.  We would have these events, raise some money, teach people and move on to the next event.  After our event this weekend at Paws in the Park, I have realized that is not the case.

We are still doing the things above, but, we are also a place that people come to to tell their story.  As people stop, they begin to tell their pet cancer story.  Many are brought to tears, while remembering their beloved lost pet.

I never thought of this being a part of this process.  I had looked at this from a business side and a personal side....my story, I suppose.  Let me tell you, each story I hear makes me want to fight cancer even more.  Being able to be there on a bright Saturday afternoon and allowing someone to open up and tell their story, because they know, that in our little 10x10 area,  it's NOT just a dog, has been the most rewarding experience.

Hearing that a loved one has cancer is life changing.  To fight it is life changing.  To watch it happen is life changing.

My life has been changed three times.  I have never been more proud of my Mom, Pooh and Gracy for their courage to fight cancer.  Cancer SUCKS!

Here are 10 warning signs for cancer.  Please, never take any lump for granted.  Have each one checked by your vet as soon as possible.  The earlier the detection, the better chance of survival.


10 Common Signs of Cancer in
 Small Animals

1.  Abnormal swellings that persist or continue to grow.

2.  Sores that do not heal.

3.  Weight loss.

4.  Loss of appetite.

5.  Bleeding or discharge from any body opening.

6.  Offensive odor.

7.  Difficulty eating or swallowing.

8.  Hesitation to exercise or loss of stamina.

9.  Persistent lameness or stiffness.

10.  Difficulty breathing, urinating, or defecating.



2 comments:

  1. So proud of you for taking steps to bring awareness to something that is so important, not just to you, but to every dog owner!

    ReplyDelete