Friday, October 26, 2012

Sisters!

Gracy and Keys are the typical sisters.  They fight, or more appropriately, bicker, play, sleep and protect me.  When they need to cover each others back, they are there for each other.

If you haven't figured this out yet, Gracy is a momma's girl.  I know, hard to believe, but, she is!  She follows me from room to room, ensuring that I don't escape without her.  The only time she will usually leave my side is if I am in the recliner.  It comes with its own alarm system.  You know, the sound it makes when the foot rest comes down!  She knows I am on the move when she hears that.  She will sprint in from outside to track my new whereabouts.

If I am ever so blessed to get to love on Keys for a minute, Gracy is not far behind, doing her best to obtain the space between Keys and I.  Keys doesn't need affection ALL the time, like Gracy.  She does have her moments.  They are few and far between.  But, when she does get cuddly, I take the time to oblige her, and myself!

Keys is a smart dog, just not a well coordinated dog.  If the girls are playing with a toy and Gracy is in possession of it and won't "play" with Keys, Keys will come to me all affectionately wanting love.  Once I begin to love on Keys, Gracy gets jealous, drops the toy, and worms her way into the picture.  As soon as Keys gains a position of advantage, the loving is over and she swoops the toy away!  Yes, I just get used by my dogs.  It should be a crime!

Gracy's level of commitment goes a bit farther.  I was totally amazed the first time I saw this happen.  After a couple of years, I was finally able to catch it on video.  It isn't the best at showing what she does, but it does show her motions.  In the video, you will see Keys (golden retriever) sleeping on the floor and Gracy (black dog) sitting next to her.  Keys is dreaming and has been making sounds.  Gracy has already moved from across the room to the position she is in in the video.  As Keys continues to dream, Gracy does the sweetest thing I have ever seen.  She wakes Keys from her dream!

This is why I love dogs!  Especially these two!  




No comments:

Post a Comment