Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mischief and Rebellion

Remember when I said that dogs are like kids.  Well, I continue to believe that more and more with each passing day!  If you missed that post, here is a link to it, Dogs are like kids.  My adventures with my girls, all three of them, have led me down paths of love and faithfulness, but also down paths of orneriness and mischief.

Keys is my laid back gal.  Normally, she is just hanging out and sleeping.  Mostly because she doesn't feel well.  If you remember, she has bad allergies.  Both food and environmental.  It has become a daily battle with her.  About four years worth.  She gets allergy shots every 10 days.  Yesterday was a shot day.  Usually, I distract her with a treat or her food while giving it to her.  It is a full cc, which means it takes a bit to give.  It has been kind of a bear to give to her the last couple of times.  Yesterday topped them all!  So, I got the treats out, 1 for Gracy and 2 for Keys.  Usually, that works.  Today, not so much.

I always show Keys the shot so she knows whats coming.  I feel that is fair.  I wouldn't want an unknown shot.  I told Keys to lay down, which she finally did, and I gave her her two treats.  By the time I got down to her neck, she laid over on her side.  And ate her first treat.  While I fought with her to get back on her belly, Gracy swooped in and stole her second treat.  UGH!  So, back to the treat bag I went, and grabbed two more treats.  When I told Keys to lay down, she laid down.  As I moved in with the treats and shot, she rolled over on her back.  She of course, was looking at me with her ears back and tail wagging.  This act of rebellion went on through a couple of more cycles.  Finally, I got the medicine administered.  But, she did wiggle her way through the process which resulted in a bit of a painful injection for her.  If only she would listen to me it wouldn't be that bad, right?  It only hurts for a second and it's over with before you know it!  So says the brave Mom who hates shots!

So, yes, dogs are like kids.  Kids fight the process until one day they are all grown up and realize that we were right and they were wrong.  Wonder if this will happen for my girls?  In 10 days, when I give Keys her next shot, we will find out.  My best guess is that she will fight the process just as much!  Thanks for stopping by!  If you like what you are reading, please go to my facebook page, It's NOT just a dog!, and "Like" the page so you can stay on top of all of my posts.  There is so much more to It's NOT just a dog!, than the blog!  Hey, that rhymed!  Look at me go!  I am a poet and didn't know it!


No comments:

Post a Comment