Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dogs are like kids!

So, everyone, even though they "say" they understand that my dogs are like my kids, I know they don't....they just don't get it.

I can sum it up like this.  Do your kids miss you when you go to the mailbox?  Mine do!  You would think I had been gone for hours.  Now, I have seen plenty of kids run into their parents arms when they arrive home after being gone.  I know that feeling too!  When my dogs run to see me when I get home.  Just knowing that they missed me and are glad to see me again, makes coming home wonderful.

You let your dogs sleep with you.....REALLY?  Yes, really!  They can sleep wherever they want, within reason, of course.  Hey, back at you.....you let you KIDS sleep with you....REALLY?  So, dogs lose hair, get the blanket a little dirty.  Kids lose hair and have runny noses and get the blanket a little dirty too, right?  That's what they made washer and dryers for.

Now, how about the way a dog begs to go outside, on a walk, or for a treat, or even dinner.  I have seen plenty of temper tantrums through the years just over ice cream, candy or t.v. shows.  We cater to our dogs in a very similar way that one would cater to their child.  A dog wants to eat, we fix them dinner....a kid wants to eat, we fix them dinner.  The only difference, the kid probably could have cooked its own dinner.

So, what about the pups with separation anxiety that destroy something while you are gone.  Expensive problem to have in some cases, right?  People laugh at your story and tell you to crate your dog.  How many walls have had to be painted because of kids writing on the wall?  How many computers have been destroyed because of spilled juices?  Maybe they should crate their kids (just kidding)!

Dogs pee and puke on the carpet.  People say can't handle that.  Really?  I have watched plenty of kids pee and puke on the carpet.....a number of times.  Not really any difference here!  Dogs have to be trained, just like kids do.  I won't even talk about the things that we will do as we adults grow old and start losing control of our own bodily functions.  Most dogs will be as well behaved as children, for the majority of their lives.  You just have to get through the puppy stage (usually), which is much shorter than a kids "puppy" stage!

So dogs might do some of these things a bit longer than kids do.  However, we all make choices and choose to live on the path we are on.  Kids would be more than welcome in my home.  My path, as for now, has allowed me to be an Aunt to three wonderful and handsome nephews, and one sweet and beautiful niece. 

I have, instead, been blessed with dogs.  Even with all of their troubles, I learn that I love them more every day.  I wouldn't trade them for anything.  Carpets and bedding can be cleaned and things are just things, and can be replaced.  They don't judge me, yell at me (well, occasionally) or wish I would leave for awhile.  Instead they wish, like me, we could spend every minute together.  Just like your kids will always be the most important things to you, my girls will always be the most important things to me.  After all, they are NOT just dogs to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment